Jeweled Runner - Free Pattern

While not quite a seasonal quilt, I am trying to use up fabric, and I had a stack of brightly colored batiks that kept calling my name. I had a lot of smaller pieces and fortunately I had enough to create this pinwheel runner. 

To make this seasonal, substitute the batik fabric with Christmas or other holiday-themed fabric. 




When it came time to quilt it, I drew out many sketches, but in the end decided to just start echo quilting and see where I ended up.



This was a very huge challenge for me to do. I don't usually quilt this much and this is very geometric. I wrestled with quilting the colored pieces, but in the end decided to let them stand out unquilted.



Another challenge was doing machine binding. The time savings and durability for washing the runner were two main reasons, along with the fact that hand sewing has been bothering my arms lately. 

I sewed the binding to the front, and then stitched in the ditch, again on the front, so the loose edge was on the back. I preferred a clean front binding on this one. I used a 2.5" wide binding, and may try with a little narrower one next time, but overall I was thrilled to be finished so quickly! 

Here is a copy of the pattern for you to make one of our own. 

Comments

  1. I cannot see any of your pics btw,but I can relate to having a hard time deciding on a quilt pattern. Sometimes after a day or two break,something will spark a design:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the disappearing pictures! Something happened between my phone and blog apparently! Thanks for your comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this table runner. The deep colors are beautiful, and your quilting is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment