Planned Patriotic Scrappy Quilt

I don't know if there is such a thing as a planned, scrappy quilt, but I feel that is what I am currently making. The other day I sat down with a box of fabric scraps that I have organized by color and theme, and pulled out the bag with the patriotic fabric. I have been pushing this bag around forever, trying to come up with a 4th of July theme wallhanging, when it suddenly hit me that I should try a scrappy table runner instead.

I had just been reading Kim Schaefer's book "Cozy Modern Quilts" and grabbed that off the table. Sure enough, on page 58 was the perfect quilt for these fabrics. Each square has a plan, so that is where I came up with this being a planned, scrappy quilt.




I have never done something like this before, so as I was cutting each block (appropriately labeled block A, B etc) I pulled out some ziploc sandwich bags and labeled a bag for each block. That really helped me keep my pieces organized. Here is where I am so far: 


Comments