Quilting My Quilts With Snowflakes and Stars

The quilt is finished and now it's time to quilt as desired. I won't lie, quilting lines make me nervous. I am confident in my piecing and applique, but when it comes time to quilt my quilt, I am hesitant to start. Mostly, my fear comes from wanting to do some incredible free-motion stitching that I am not skilled enough to do.

So how am I overcoming some of this? First, this summer I have been on the look-out for really nice straight line quilting. A few of the modern quilt books I have been reading have some great ideas and I am keeping a sketch pad of ideas.

Even if they are not exactly straight lines, as long as they are not looped I can handle it thanks to my walking foot attachment. This attachment has saved many a quilt as it really keeps the three layers together without puckers or bunching. Making straight and wavy lines is a breeze.


I have also experimented with using the walking foot to create designs. I created this snowflake pattern by drawing it on freezer paper, and then used the walking foot to follow along the design. The loops were big enough and pointed, while the quilt was small enough that I could move it around easily.

Even though I could have done straight line stitching on this patriotic quilt, it just called for me to quilt stars. These I did quilted freehand, so some are not perfect, but overall they added to the theme of the quilt.



You'll see that the stars at attached with somewhat curved lines so that I didn't have to stop and start my quilting. I'm practicing making more loopy designs with the walking foot as well, but those are going to need more practice time.










Two down, many more to go!

Comments