Adding Additional Quilting Lines

Although I create my quilts to sell, I also create what appeals to me. I have to like what I am making. If something hasn't sold in a couple of years, I take a more critical look at it to see why.

Recently, I decided that two of my quilts needed some extra quilting lines. Fortunately, it was fairly easy to add them in. Here is the original "final" picture of my yellow and white table runner.


The first year I had it on display, lots of people looked at it. Last year, not so much. I'm hoping with the extra quilting lines, which give it much more character, the quilt will sell.


 Another quilt I made that same year, is this Dogwood wallhanging. I had used a raw-edged applique technique, which I really liked. However, my colors may not be in line with today's color palette. That I can't change.


What I did change was to add some wide, meandering quilting lines around the flowers. I used my walking foot because I am still having troubles using the new darning foot I got for Christmas. Since this was a finished quilt, I didn't want to cause any major problems.


I have one other quilt, a sports memory quilt, where the child's sport's team members can sign their names on it, that also has not sold. While that could use some additional quilting lines also, I just couldn't come up with something I liked. However, I really like how the applique turned out with the added stitching lines on it.


When discussing this with my cousin, she mentioned that the sports team's colors in that area were mostly red. Additionally, someone's buttery fingers left a stain on the quilt (the downside of selling quilts at an art show.) That cinched my decision to remake it.


I decided to just rip the quilt apart, and start over. I literally cut it apart, a little bigger than the center square, and then ripped the seams out around it. Since I'm into making these small, vertical quilts now, I added red and white strips above and below the design. I really like the compact style compared to the original quilt. We'll see what happens at the next show.

As I mentioned at the top of this post, I create what appeals to me. Selling my quilts means my house is not overrun with them, and someone else can enjoy them while I can enjoy the process of creating them.

Comments