Batik Hummingbird

Batiks are definitely my all time favorite fabric. There is something about the tones, the colors, the way the fabric blends together. I mentioned previously, that I don't like to quilt over applique pieces because I love the fabric as art itself.


I made this hummingbird for my dad who is an ardent bird watcher. They recently downsized and re-gifted it back to me. This gave me a second chance to admire the beauty of batiks.

While I have been known to pick some rather wild looking batik fabrics, that even my artsy sister raised her eyebrows at, (see below) the ones that I enjoy the most are the ones that are rather monotone, with a subtle pattern to them, as the ones shown in the hummingbird quilt above. I've recently learned they are called Batik Blenders - tone on tone fabrics. Someday I would love to try a hand at dyeing my own.


There are a few quilt shops around us that sell batiks, but they are out of my way, so I tend to buy fabric at JoAnne's or Walmart - more convenient. And sometimes convenience rules.

Lately, my goal has been to use up all the fabric in my stash (it's not large) before I buy anything new. The other day we walked past the fabric at Walmart and my feet naturally went that way. No, I said to myself, if I am going to buy new fabric, this time it is going to be batiks.

Hopefully soon, I will get to the quilt store, that really isn't that far away, just out of the way, and buy myself some pretty batiks.

Comments