Finding Ideas

Ideas abound in my head, but I can't always pin point exactly how I want to process them into quilts. Recently, I saw a picture of pink petals and knew I wanted to make a quilt with large flowers on it. However, I wasn't certain which direction I would head.

Should I do regular flowers? Or maybe huge, over-sized, almost pop-art flowers. I happened to see a clip art picture of daisy like flowers and decided to go in that direction.


I played around with drawing petals on the computer in Power Point - drawing a symmetrical petal was not as easy as I thought - and then added dimension to them. There were a lot of pieces that I needed to place correctly, so I printed out a full size image of the placement, and used my teflon pressing sheet to put them together.

   



My next step is figuring out how to place them on the background fabric. I had to stitch two pieces of fabric together to get the right size background and need to strategically place one of the flowers to hide the seam. Here is my current placement.


The petals will go off the edge of the backing, which is my little ode to the pop-art flower I had considered. Here is the final quilt, and here is the Etsy listing for the pattern. 


If you would like to make the pattern, or using the applique template for your own design, my pattern can be found in my Etsy shop.





Comments